Friday, May 4, 2012

Why Did You Call?


1712, originally uploaded by M'roy.

Why did you call? His wife called out from the kitchen.

Stunned for a moment, then he yelled back to her, "I was going to ask you to swing by the cleaners."

Twenty years had passed but he still remembers clearly the time when someone asked him that very same question in that very same casual tone of voice.

He couldn't answer then. He stared blankly at her.

Even today, in his quiet moments, away from the noise of living his "successful" life - house, wife, two kids and two dogs and a thriving practice - he still remembers that day.

He has no regrets in his life. It went the way it should, the way he carefully planned it to be.

Why did you call? Twenty years later, he's still afraid to answer that - even to himself.

~~~~my attempt at writing a very short story~~~~
5/04/12, 3:30 PM PDT

No comments:

Stories of 2020

1/19/20 Today, I received my first moving violation. A traffic policeman cited me for “speeding” going 35 on a 25. I honestly didn’t ...