Monday, March 25, 2013

WWJD

The deacon from church loaned us a book entitled FINDING FAITH IN MOVIES. I saw the book in the living room as I walked out of the door to go to work today. As a matter of fact I see it every single day, sometimes I don't notice it at all, but today it was very noticeable. FYI, we haven't read the book yet.

I think the reason why I noticed it today is two-fold: 1) it's holy week 2) the blind side.

The Blind Side, the Sandra Bullock movie that won her an Oscar's a few years ago, was on tv last Saturday. It's a heartwarming movie that teaches us what a Christian should be.

The scene where Sandra Bullock character decided to take Big Mike home never fails to hit me. Tears would just roll off my cheek unceremoniously each time. I realized on Saturday why that scene hit me hard.

It was a "test" that people find themselves face every single day. Should we solve this the Christian way or not. In that case Leigh Ann Tuohy (Sandra's character) chose to do the right thing, well the Christian thing.

Matthew 25:35-36
For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.

The scene highlights my weakness, my tendency to think negative, my inability to see Jesus in other human beings.

It was the Holidays, my husband remembers it to be Christmas last year. It may have been the 26th. It was raining hard and we were out and about driving from one store to another. On the way home at about 5 PM when it got dark so early we halted at a stop light under the freeway bridge on the way to the freeway ramp. There stood a single lady, clean and neat, holding a sign asking for help. She wasn't the typical bum you see on the side of the road asking for help, but she looked like she was down.

I was fumbling in my purse for loose change when the light turned green. There were cars behind us and so we drove off. The hubby took the next exit and we drove a few more blocks to find some food for the lady. One gas station has food and coffee and so we bought some and drove back to find her. Luckily she was still there, and we gave her the food and coffee. She thanked us profusely.

As we drove home my husband said, "What if that was Jesus and it was a test? He simply couldn't let his laziness and inconvenience to get in the way of doing the right thing. Unfortunately and shamefully, I must admit, I would have driven off and wouldn't look back despite the qualms I might have felt and would soon dissipate.

I know this isn't the typical post I do here. The movie just inspired me to look into my everyday life and reminded me to be a little kinder. We call can't adopt a black kid and help him become a pro football player, but we have a role to play in this world designed especially for us. We simply have to find it.

No comments:

Stories of 2020

1/19/20 Today, I received my first moving violation. A traffic policeman cited me for “speeding” going 35 on a 25. I honestly didn’t ...